Hi, I’m Maribel Marron, and I’m an Allstate
agency owner in Chicago’s Logan Square neighborhood. I’ll be talking about comprehensive coverage,
which may help pay to repair your car if it’s damaged by something other than a collision. Some examples of what comprehensive may cover
include: Theft
Fire Falling objects
Vandalism Natural disasters, or
Hitting or being hit by an animal Comprehensive coverage is typically optional
on a car insurance policy, but your lender may require it if you’re still paying off
your car. I remember this one comprehensive claim. One
night while a customer’s car was parked on the street outside her house, thieves stole the catalytic
converter, which is part of the car’s exhaust system, from under her car. A catalytic converter is part of a car’s exhaust
system, and when she started the engine she knew she had a problem, because the car was
so loud. She didn’t realize it yet, but she was missing a part that could potentially cost hundreds of
dollars to replace. She was pretty upset when she called me that
morning. She was on her way to work when she discovered the problem with her car. She had
filed a police report, and I helped her file an insurance claim. We helped her arrange
a tow to a body shop, which provided an estimate and fixed her car. Comprehensive coverage helped pay for the
repair, minus her deductible. She had her car back in about a week, so she was pretty
happy. When I’m talking to customers about comprehensive
coverage, I just explain what’s usually covered — like fire or theft, for example
— and explain the potential cost. And once they hear that, customers usually say, ‘Yes,
add it on.’